Thursday, February 17, 2011

Frock No.17

This little number, I made in the spring.  I have been meaning to blog about it ever since, but never in my mummy schedule did I get a chance to take a photo.  The Frockruary challenge is especially good for this reason.
Made from McCalls's 2138 from 1969.  I made view C, even adding some bead trim.  The fabric is a light weight cotton, a market find, dating from the 60's.  Apart from the trim, this dress is so 60's baby.  At the time of making this dress I was in a hurry (I think I wanted to wear it the next day to a Tupperware party!); and omitted the facing from the arms and instead using bias binding and top stitched it too.  I love this pattern, it was very easy to make, and I love that I could cut a dress from approximately 2 metres of fabric.  Next time I will finish it more carefully for that posh look.
Since making this dress and reading a stack of blogs, I have been more careful in my execution.  I am a total self taught sewist (apart from grade 8 Home EC)  and have learnt so much since I have joined this blog world.


  1. love this photo... both you and daughter's pose (she is priceless!). the dress is great too :)

  2. I love your February, or Frockruary project! What a neat idea. I dedicated a blog post to it I was so excited to see your post on Sew Retro this morning. I can't wait to see what the rest of the month has in store.