Saturday, March 26, 2011

Rita's Dresses.

I got a call from Rita yesterday to tell me she dug out her dresses and asked me if I was interested.  "Hell Yes!"

I feel like I've won lotto and robbed someone at the same time.  Rita was sad to see her dresses go, but knew she had to let them go.  I assured her they were going to a good home where they would be loved.

I had to rush home and try them on.  What a mission, 50's zips in dresses are short and hence frustratingly tight to get on and off especially when I am in a hurry to quickly try the next one on.
Rita's mum made most of the dresses, so the patterns of these dresses will be in the stash that Rita is picking up soon.  Excited. 

The blue spotty dress is a dress Rita made herself when she did a short  dressmaker's course.  It was a self drafted pattern.  Well worn and with lots of  age spots.  I will have to see how it washes.
I look flustered in this shot, it was the last one I tried on
I really like the bodice on this one and it looked familiar and wah lah, look what I found in my stash.
This next sunny yellow dress is Rita's favourite, she wore it when she her and her husband were courting.  She tells me if this dress was washed and ironed then she had to wear it.  I think it's my favourite too.

Rita's mum was always asking Rita why she didn't wear the blue dress she made her, and that's when she wore it.  The colours are amazing on this dress.





The next two dresses were made for Rita's honeymoon, but Rita said she fell pregnant straight away and never wore them.  She gained weight while pregnant and never lost it, so these dresses are fresh and perky.  Notice the pineapple print.  Lucky me to have two pineapple print dresses.

I feel a little sad, because Rita never socialized much once she was married.  Sad for Rita, but it has preserved the loveliness of these dresses as they have been in the back of Rita's cupboard since 1958.
The next two dress are not so pleasing for me, total polyester and either not flattering or just not my size.

A little better with a belt.

I also got a lovely handmade slip from the 50's, not photographed.

Stella was my photographer today and hopes one day to wear these dresses too.

Rita hasn't gotten rid of anything and she has lived in her house since she was married.  I feel giddy thinking about the treasure she has.   Rita mentioned that she needs to start packing the house up and getting rid of some belongings.  Is it wrong to ask to go to her house and see her home?

Oooo and I can't wait to get Rita's patterns.

2 comments:

  1. ooo-la-la!! such treasures! wish i were still there to play dress ups :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! I envy you!!all the dresses ARE GREAT!! so lucky you are!!

    ReplyDelete