Saturday, January 21, 2012

Ginger and I

Ginger and I have been beautifully matched for the last 3 days.
I love prints, but enough is enough.  I need some block colours.  I had no intention of buying pink, I really didn't know what colour I needed or wanted.  Fushia pink just sang to me on this particular day.  I drafted my own half circle skirt in this pink linen.  I was amazed at how quick and easy this is and t is lovely to wear.  I used my An Pan Man (a character from Japan, that is plastered all over their school buses) button.
Ginger wears an adorable strawberry print dress op shopped years ago when Stella was a wee lil' one.


I have been a mad little sewer lately.  I have decided I need to tidy up loose ends in the sewing corner.  I am finishing projects that got put on hold for one reason or another and in the process have been inspired to start new projects.  I found a skirt that I started making into a dirndl skirt with an elastic casing.  It was far too bulky however and just recently I unpicked it and made a waist band.  It was so simple and easy that I wonder why I didn't do it sooner.  I came across this fabulous poodle fabric that my gal pal got for me from Japan.  It has these large grids on it which I didn't want to cut through.  Enter the straight dirndl skirt.  Perfect.  I love it, it is so easy to wear.  We didn't get a very clear full length photo, I'm afraid.  I used a frog clasp (thanks Madelaine) because I forgot to allow a seam for the invisible zip to go to the top.
Ginger wears a fabulous vintage dress, made to look like a pinafore with shirring on the top.  Cute as a button.


This little halter neck dress is made from McCall's 2217 from 1969.  It was a bit of a dud for my shape.  The top was gapey even after I made it smaller.  I cinched in the bosom making it almond shaped rather than triangular and the back is rather low for a gal who prefers to wear support.  I love the fabric though, which is a lovely feeling cotton from the 60's.  The zip is pretty fabulous too. 
I LOVE Ginger in this little dress.  I made it for Stella a few years ago.  It is made from an old curtain.  The colours are amazing.  It has been lined with Michael Miller's bubbles fabric and can be worn reversable.  Ginger has the cuttest little pudgy legs.  This is how short my sisters and I wore our dresses in the 70's.




McCall's 2217 from 1969


3 comments:

  1. Wow! you have been busy! I love the halter and have one similar but it's a size too small and I don't have time to grade it . I love Ginger's dress from the curtain fabric but I especially love your fushia skirt. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowza, you have been a sewing MACHINE lately! all fab. glad the poodles were made into something grand. i have a to-finish-list as long as my arm.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That button is just gorgeous and I love the pink in you.

    ReplyDelete