I have wanted to try using a dress form for a while, but couldn't justify spending a stack of money on something I may barely use. I kept a look out on Ebay, but the prices quickly got out of my price range. Flicking through the paper one day I found one listed for sale minus stand, for $50. I drove through the rain, with a sleeping baby for half an hour to find that it was an Autoset, Diana, in terrible condition, rusty, cracked plastic in places and the fabric cover turned to red sand with a touch. I drove away, got 10 minutes a away, turned around and over the professional junk dealer $20. We settled on $35 and I took it home, quite excited.
Armed with glue, bull clips and pegs I commenced the long process of gluing. I glued the fronts on first, waited for the glue to set a bit, snipped the curves, trimmed the hems where needed and held the hems in place with bull clips and pegs, just long enough for the glue to set. At the bust, I actually had to cut a dart, much the same as I would sew one, as the fabric was bulky.